Wednesday, July 2, 2014

pea pesto.

Peas are so misunderstood (which is why I'm here to give them the respect they deserve).

As Tyler will attest to, I spent most of the month of June discussing the fact that I was unable to find shelling peas.  Sugar snap peas were ALL over the place and while I love them (blanched and dipped in miso peanut dressing please) shelling peas are my favorite mostly because I love the act of shelling them.  (I find it therapeutic.) 

The first batch of peas were suppose to regaled to pasta but because of the heat I switched gears (because being a cook means thinking on your feet).  Pea pesto was made and consumed with such abandon that I think I may prefer to to the original pesto.  Sweet peas are just barely pulvarized and paired with basil, mint, and pecorino.  The pairing is earthy, bright, and clean.  It's perfect on well toasted bread with an additional slice of pecorino but it also makes for one hell of a panini.  

Pea Pesto

Only now do I realize I forgot to add the nuts! How could I forget the nuts?! I'm dreaming of pistachios (more green!) though the standard pine nuts wouldn't be out of place here.  Looks like I'll have to make a new batch, what a shame.  

2 cups of peas, blanched
10 basil leaves
10 mint leaves
3 tablespoons olive oil 
1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
10 grinds of black pepper plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons pecorino
1/4 cup pistachios or pine nuts (optional)
Juice of half a lemon (optional)

Place all ingredients (including the nuts if using) in a food processor with the exception of the lemon juice. Pulse the mixture together until the peas are crushed but not pureed.  Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Stir in the lemon juice if using.  Eat with a spoon or atop crusty well-toasted bread.  




No comments:

Post a Comment