Wednesday, June 4, 2014

sugar steak with bourbon.

This steak.  Oh this steak. (It. Is. So. Good.)

I don't eat much red meat, instead I try and treat it as special occasion food, but when the weather heats up and the scent of grilled meats can be picked up on each and every block I walk, my cravings kick in.  

As a bourbon lover (I adore a good Old Fashioned more then one should), this recipe caught my eye almost immediately. The fact that the whole recipe consisted of about 5 ingredients (5!) and involved the most minimal amount of effort is what sold me on it.  The combination of smoky bourbon, sweet sugar, and hot and smoky paprika is a match made in grilled steak heaven.  The flavors manage to permeate the meat without overpowering it.  I found myself eating strips of steak plain (I swear it's that good), but it would be stellar with mashed potatoes and braised spinach.  And if you are fortunate enough to have leftovers might I suggest a steak sandwich with paprika mayo, arugula, and roasted red peppers.  Because everyone knows leftover steak begs to be eaten in a sandwich. (With chips! Lots of wonderfully crunchy potato chips.)

Sugar Steak with Bourbon
Recipe adapted from Food 52


1 flank steak (about 1 – 1 ½ pounds)
¼ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup bourbon
1 teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika (or if you don’t have this ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes and ½ teaspoon regular paprika)
Flaky salt for sprinkling
Pepper for sprinkling

Put the steak in a 1-gallon plastic bag or in a dish large enough to fit the steak.  Add in the bourbon, sugar, and smoked paprika.  Add the steak to the bag and let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours.


Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat for about 5 minutes, place the steak in the pan and cook for 3 minutes.  Flip and cook the other side for 3 minutes, this will get you a medium-rare steak. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes, then cut into 1/4-inch slices.  Season the sliced steak with flaky sea salt and pepper.  



No comments:

Post a Comment