Monday, June 30, 2014

coffee-crusted grilled pork chops.

If I were to try and describe my relationship with coffee it would involve a 3 hour long conversation in which I would try and explain how I love coffee (the darker the roast the better) but I only allow myself to drink it twice a week.  I realize this is not normal.  People do not fall into a category of occasional coffee drinker. Coffee is one of those all or nothing types of thing.  I am not normal.  

Since I can't consume coffee with any regularity, I constantly look for ways to incorporate it in my cooking (because coffee flavor is like nothing else).  When this recipe appeared in my inbox, I knew it was going to be my next weekend grilling project because what is better then PORK, SUMMER, AND COFFEE?! After making this, I realize nothing is better, nothing.  

This dish requires about 10 minutes of prep and 10 minutes of cooking which means it couldn't be any easier. As the pork grills the coffee flavor gets toasted and more pronounced.  Coupled with the sugar and the cayenne ensures you get that awesome sweet, spicy, smoky flavor that I simply can't get enough of.  Serve it with grilled corn and you have the epitome of everything I love this time of year.  


Coffee-Crusted Grilled Pork Chops
Recipe adapted from Leite’s Culinaria

Despite the fact that I only cooked 2 pork chops (2 very LARGE pork chops), I still made the prescribed amount of spice mixture and just really crusted the pork.  If you decided to halve the recipe, I would keep the proportions the same.  You can never have too much spice. 

1 tablespoon ground coffee
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons turbinado sugar (such as Sugar In The Raw)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 bone-in pork chops (each about 3⁄4 inch thick)

In a small bowl, combine the coffee, salt, sugar, cayenne, smoked paprika, pepper, and cinnamon. Mix well.

Season the pork chops on both sides with the coffee and spice mixture, rubbing it into the chops. (Be sure to use all the spice rub.)  At this point the pork chops can be stored in the fridge until ready to use.  I think it’s best to keep in fridge for a couple of hours as it allows the flavors to permeate the meat. 

Prepare an outdoor grill to cook directly over medium heat.  Or heat a large cast-iron pan over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. 

Place the chops on the grill or cast iron skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until well-browned. Flip the chops and cook for 4 to 5 minutes more, until browned and cooked to an internal temperature of 150°F (65°C). Transfer the chops to a platter and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment