Monday, April 28, 2014

avocado toast.

























If you were to ask me what I eat more often then not, the answer would be avocado toast.  Avocado toast is the food I dream about.  It's my default snack, my lunch when I don't know what to make.  It's my dinner when I am home alone and watch Real Housewives of New York Marathons.  It's the most perfect food.  Ever.  

After discussing English Muffin Bread last week which makes for an epic base for avocado toast (as evident by these pictures), I figured it was finally time to discuss my version.  This is one step up from the bare bones original of smashed avocado and sea salt because in my world a little extra spice (and cheese!) never hurts anything.
























Avocado Toast

This recipe is a jumping off point.  I have used all sorts of cheeses and spices (havarti can be really wonderful as is crushed chipotle pepper).  Experiment.  The key is good bread and a really ripe avocado.  

Makes 2 Pieces

2 slices of bread, any kind, though I am partial to nutty 5 grains or the previously posted english muffin bread
1/4 - 1/2 an avocado (the amount will depend on the size of the bread or how generous you are with the avocado)
1/4 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
1/2 teaspoon Mike's Hot Honey or regular honey
1 tablespoon crumbled feta, ricotta salata, or cotija 
Flaky sea salt and black pepper

Toast your bread well.  Spread equal amounts of avocado on each slice.  Sprinkle the Aleppo pepper and cheese evenly over the two slices.  Drizzle the honey.  Season with salt and pepper.   Devour.  Immediately.  




No comments:

Post a Comment