Thursday, August 1, 2013

corn pizza with bacon.

























Last year when I wrote about corn pizza, I imagined that would be the only recipe for corn pizza on the blog because really, how many recipes can there possibly be for corn pizza.  There is only so much wheel reinvention that can happen between corn and crust.   But I was wrong!  Oh, how wrong I was because there is a whole other world of corn pizza that I didn’t tackle and I only just realized that after reading my latest cookbook acquisition I Heart New York.   Corn puree.  Actually it’s a corn puree and mascarpone and it really is the most wonderful tasting thing.  A little sweet, a little tangy, a whole lot of creamy, and very addicting (it may have been consumed by the spoonful which I am not in the slight bit embarrassed to admit).  This corn puree is generously applied to the crust where it stands in as a sauce (oh it’s such a good sauce).  It’s topped with cubes of rich, smoky bacon, a handful of sweet corn kernels, and when it emerges from the oven a (healthy) sprinkle of aged raw milk cheddar.  It is absurdly amazing with a pure sweet corn taste that marries beautifully with the salty cheese and bacon.  I won’t say it’s better or worse than my previous corn pizza recipe (you can’t expect me to play favorites) but I plan on making it again this weekend if that’s any indication of how I feel.

Corn Pizza with Bacon
Recipe adapted from I Love New York By Daniel Humm and Will Guidara

The cookbook suggests making this on the grill but my grill situation was not up to snuff so I can't advise on that. I plan on remaking it on the grill when I am home at my parents next week (FYI Mom and Dad!) so I can report back on that then! Below are the instructions for cooking this in the oven which works absurdly well.  

Makes 4 pizzas

1 batch of my favorite pizza dough
Corn pudding (recipe below)
1/4 cup mascarpone
1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 1 ear of corn)
1/2 cup diced (1/8 inch) uncooked bacon
Red chile flakes
4 ounces grated raw cow milk cheddar (or something similar - I found mine at Whole Foods)
Basil for topping if you choose

Remove the pizza dough from the refridgerator and allow to proof for 1 hour at room temperature.  While it is proofing preheat you oven to 500 degrees (or as hot as it gets) and place your pizza stone in the oven if you have one (if you don't use a baking sheet). Combine the corn pudding with the mascarpone in a medium bowl. When the dough is done proofing, stretch one of the pieces of dough into an oval.  Remove the pizza stone or baking sheet from the oven and place the dough on top of the stone.  Working quickly, top the dough with 3/4 cup of the corn pudding mixture, 1/4 cup of the corn kernels, 2 tablespoons of bacon, and a pinch of chile flakes.  Return the pizza to the oven and cook for about 10 minutes or until the dough is cooked and charred in spots and the bacon is cooked.  Remove the pizza from the oven and sprinkle with 1 ounce of the grated cheese.  Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 4 pizzas.  

Corn Pudding
Recipe adapted from I Love New York By Daniel Humm and Will Guidara

I tried to streamline this part mostly because I didn’t exactly understand where this corn juice was coming from that they use in the recipe.  But my work exceptionally well!

2 cups corn kernels (from about 5 ears of corn)
¼ cup water or milk
3 tablespoons mascarpone
¾ teaspoon salt

Place the corn kernels in a food processor and process until a chunky puree forms.  While the machine is running, pour a tablespoon of water in at a time.  Continue pouring in water a little at a time until the puree smoothes out a little (its fine for it to still be a little chunky since you don’t want to add too much water). 

Dump the corn puree into a medium saucepan over medium-high heat while whisking constantly.  After 1 ½ to 2 minute, as the starches in the corn juice just start to thicken, turn down the hear slightly to avoid scorching.  Whisk until the corn reaches a puddinglike thickness, another 3 to 4 minutes.  Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the mascarpone.  Season with salt.  Allow to cool and then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. 





No comments:

Post a Comment