Saturday, April 6, 2013

homemade matzoh.


I am not Jewish which is probably why I do not associate Matzoh with Passover.  I see Matzoh and think cracker! Super awesome vehicle for eating chunky peanut butter! Flat bread for turkey!  All of these reasons are why I do not regale matzoh to being eaten 8 days a year.  I eat it for breakfast and as a snack (salted matzoh only) and I feel like I can and do because I’ve never associated it with a holiday (and probably because I’ve also never had to use it as a substitute for bread.  Let’s be honest, I don’t see myself ever being able to give up bread, even for 8 days.  I am really showing my lack of will power on this blog.)  Matzoh should be treated as it’s super awesome self and let it’s cracker cape shine because in my opinion we should call a spade a spade and define matzo as a cracker which is why 4 days after Passover has ended I have decided to try my hand at homemade matzoh.  (I had planned on making this during Passover since it seemed a little more logical but life and far too many other things got in the way of that happening.)  Homemade matzoh as the boy just kindly informed me is leagues better then the stuff you buy in the supermarket (his quote “you can eat this plain and it’s still really good!”).  This recipe is remarkably easy and quick and it makes a ton which allows you to come up with a plethora of ways with which to eat it. 

Homemade Matzoh
Recipe via The Mile EndCookbook

Makes 8 very large pieces.  You can also halve this!

4 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
2 tablespoons canola or other neutral flavor oil
3/4 cup plus up to 1/4 cup warm water

Preheat the oven to 500°F (260°C) and place a pizza stone (ideally) or a 10-by-15-inch baking sheet (realistically) on the bottom oven rack.

In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients, using 3/4 cup water, until they come together to form a dough. If the dough seems dry, add more water, a touch at a time. If you do not need the matzoh to be kosher for Passover, let the dough rest for 10 to 15 minutes. If you do need the matzoh to be kosher for Passover, proceed immediately to the next step.

Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Flatten a piece slightly and pass it repeatedly through a pasta maker, reducing the thickness each time until you reach the minimum setting. Alternately, you can simply roll the dough as thinly as possible with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface. Repeat with the remaining dough pieces.

Trim the rolled-out dough pieces into rectangles. Use a fork to prick holes in the surface of the dough. lf salted matzoh are desired, brush or spray the dough surface lightly with water and sprinkle with salt to taste.

Carefully place some of the pieces of dough onto the pizza stone or baking sheet. They should fit snugly. Bake until the surface of the matzoh is golden brown and bubbly, 30 to 90 seconds. Using tongs, carefully flip the matzoh pieces and continue to bake until the other side is golden browned and lightly blistered, 15 to 30 seconds. Just let the matzoh get a few dots of light brown; do not let the matzoh turn completely brown as it will taste burnt. Keep careful, constant watch to keep the matzoh from burning; the exact baking time will vary from oven to oven and will get longer with subsequent batches.

No comments:

Post a Comment