Friday, December 28, 2012

spiced ginger oatmeal drop.

All in the name of research, I’ve made it my job to eat a lot of cookies this month.  I needed to try everyone’s offerings in order to discern the good from the bad.  I've been focusing most of my attention on the ginger cookie (I am in shock with regards to the number of varieties available) and have discovered that my favorite ginger cookies all pack a serious cinnamon spice kick and a big ginger punch.  Many of the previous ginger cookies I made lacked the spice and were also a little too crispy and snapish for me (I fall in the chewy ginger cookie camp, I can't help it), so I went to the wall of cookbooks to see if I could find a recipe that encompassed the spice I crave with chewy bite I adore.  What I found was a recipe from the wonderfully fabulous One Girl Cookie cookbook (I highly recommend a visit to their store in Brooklyn  the cookies are utterly adorable and everything is unbelievably delicious) for a spiced ginger oatmeal drop.  I wasn't too sure about the oatmeal at first, I thought it would take away from the maturity of the ginger cookie (because obviously ginger cookies are a super mature cookie) but I found the oatmeal gave it the perfect bite.  The cinnamon provides a nice bold flavor and the chunks of candied ginger pack the ginger punch I so adore.  

Spiced Ginger Oatmeal Drops
Recipe from One Girl Cookies 

Makes about 30 cookies

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon table salt
1 cup candied ginger, finely chopped
2 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt. Stir in the candied ginger and the oats.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour mixture, and mix for 30 seconds.

Take the mixing bowl off the mixer and finish mixing the dough with a rubber spatula, about 30 seconds. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour, or overnight if possible.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Using a small cookie scoop or a spoon, scoop out a small round of dough, about 1 ½ tablespoons in size. Roll the scoop into a ball between the palms of your hands, and place it on a paper parchment–lined baking sheet. Gently press the ball onto the baking sheet. Repeat, leaving 1 inch between cookies.

Bake the cookies for 14 to 16 minutes, until they have darkened slightly. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let them cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment