Wednesday, June 20, 2012

deviled eggs.


There are certain foods that I make, usually for special occasions that people are always in awe of.  I don’t know if it’s because they think they are labor intensive so they are surprised I took the time (like empanadas) or if it’s because no one ever makes them homemade (like bread).  The look of excitement they exhibit when seeing them always makes me laugh (Apparently others get as happy about food as I do!). 

The easiest thing I always end up making that usually elicits many shrieks of glee is deviled eggs.  Deviled eggs are a crowd pleaser.  Probably because they feel old fashioned and because they are the perfect hand held snack.  They are just so darn cute (at least in my own personal opinion).  Also, everybody loves eggs which makes them a guaranteed hit. 

I make my deviled eggs rather simply more so because they are delicious in their original form.  I do have one additional add in and that is smoked Spanish paprika (I use the hot but it comes in sweet as well).  If you have never used smoked paprika, I recommend running to the store now and buying some.  It is one of my most beloved ingredients (up there with chipotles and parmesan) because it brings a level of depth to food that it would otherwise lack.  The heat is gentle and it works perfectly with deviled eggs, giving them a little edge and making the old stand by taste new.   The updated version will have everyone excited.

Deviled Eggs

A dozen hardboiled eggs
½ cup mayo (you may require less so I always start with less and add it in gradually)
1 to 1 ½ teaspoons dried mustard
½ teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika (you can replace this with cayenne)
½ teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper to taste

Peel eggs and cut in half lengthwise.  Scoop out the yolks and place them in a bowl and place whites on a platter. Combine the yolks with mayo (start off with less), dried mustard (also the lesser amt), both paprika’s, a pinch of salt and pepper.  Mix together, the mixture should be smooth and not too chunky, if it is add more mayo.  Taste, and add more seasonings as desired.  Use a small spoon to add the filling to the whites.  Sprinkle with more paprika.  (If you a sucker for presentation feel free to use a pastry bag to fill the whites!)

No comments:

Post a Comment