Friday, June 22, 2012

bread and butter pickles


Pickles and I have a bit of a love hate relationship (with there being more hate then love).  I like pickles on Cuban sandwiches (but only if they are super thin) and the little gherkin pickles go perfectly with chopped liver.  Besides that, I don’t really enjoy them.  I have friends who love pickles – who get sides of pickles with their foods and I just can’t understand why.  I find that most pickles from diners and restaurants are underwhelming.  They don’t taste like much which makes me sad. 

Last summer my mom turned me on to the bread and butter pickles from Smitten Kitchen.  I was apprehensive at first but I tried them and found them revolutionary!  They were sweet and salty with the perfect hint of spice and vinegar.  I ate what remained of the jar and patiently waited a year for Kirby cucumbers to arrive at the farmers market so I could make my own batch.  The wait was worth it.  We have devoured them plain and on burgers and sandwiches.  They pretty much work with anything and everything.  I plan to make a second batch this weekend to bring as a housewarming gift - that is if I don’t eat all of them before then.

Bread and Butter Pickles
Recipe from Smitten Kitchen

I plan on (and have been thinking for about a week now) about making a homemade Cuban with this.  Need to make roast pork and will then report back!

1 pound Kirby cucumbers sliced ¼ inch thick
1 large sweet onion thinly sliced
¼ cup Diamond Kosher salt (only Diamond!)
½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup distilled white vinegar
¼ teaspoon ground tumeric
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
¼ teaspoon celery seed

In a medium bowl, combine the cucumbers, onion, and salt.  Cover the mixture with ice.  Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.  In a pot, bring sugar, vinegar, and spices to a boil.  Drain cucumbers and onions.  Add to vinegar mixture and bring almost back to a boil.  Remove from heat and cook.  You can store the pickles in an airtight contained for up to three weeks in the fridge.  They will taste like pickles in just a few hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment