Wednesday, May 23, 2012

fresh green peas and sugar snap peas in sesame dressing.


Green is everywhere – not just in the world of clothing (neon green in particular is having a moment which makes me swoon) but all over.  The onslaught of warm weather has enticed me to migrate outside, and in the great outdoors, I’ve found myself surrounded by lush grass, big leafy trees, and a plethora of flowers.  The color has also carried over to the farmers market.  It seems that almost every time I visit something new shows up – the latest being the beautiful green sugar snap peas.

I was never particularly drawn to sugar snap peas before, but maybe it’s come with age or the desire to always try something new but I purchased a pound of them and figured I would come up with a way to enjoy them. Let’s just say I found this weeks favorite food.

I took a recipe from Bon Appétit and doctored it up a bit – adding in some Siracha (one of the most useful condiments!)  for heat, and some brown rice so it would feel a little more like a side dish.  The result felt healthy (especially needed when eating homemade pie for dessert) and it exuded the sweet and spicy flavors I love. The leftovers made for a lovely lunch at work the next day, which reminded me why I love the arrival of summer.



Fresh Green Peas and Sugar Snap Peas in Sesame Dressing
Adapted from Epicurious
Serves 4

1 cups fresh shelled peas (from 1 pound peas in pods)
12 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed
2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
2 teaspoons Siracha (or more if you love spicy)
1 tablespoon (packed) golden brown sugar
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup cooked rice (brown, white, whatever you love). 

Cook shelled peas in large saucepan of boiling salted water until almost tender, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add sugar snap peas to same pan and continue boiling 30 seconds. Drain; rinse under cold water and drain again. Transfer to large bowl.

Whisk vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend. (Peas and dressing can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand separately at room temperature.) Pour dressing over peas and rice in large bowl; toss to coat. Season salad to taste with more salt and pepper, if desired. Serve at room temperature.



No comments:

Post a Comment